The Troy Police Department traces its history back to the July 1952 hiring of Chief David Gratopp and Patrolman Willard Schwandt. Chief Gratopp and Patrolman Schwandt patrolled what was then Troy Township.
In November 1952 the department added a third officer, Patrolman Eugene Sackner. In 1955, Troy incorporated and the Police Department began to grow steadily, both in size and in scope of operation, to meet the needs of the rapidly changing city.
Today, the Troy Police Department is a full service agency that enjoys an outstanding reputation within the community as well as with other law enforcement agencies.